6 Simple Detox Ideas
by Christina Koopmann - Freelance Writer
Practiced for centuries by cultures around the world — including Ayurveda and Traditional Chinese Medicine – detoxification is about cleansing and nourishing the body as well as the mind for a more vibrant, healthier lifestyle.
When you detox on a physical level, you basically remove impurities from your entire system via the liver, kidneys, intestines, lungs, lymph and skin. While removing toxins from your system, you start to feed your body with healthy nutrients. Detoxifying can help protect you from disease, boost your immune system, enhance your beauty, clear your mind and in general renew your ability to maintain optimum health.
Here are 6 easy tips and tricks how you can help your body detoxify on a daily basis:
- Start your day with some hot lemon water to kick-start your system and your digestion.
- Dry-brush your skin every morning before showering to remove toxins through your pores – the skin is the biggest organ after all.
- Eat a lot of fiber, including brown rice and organically grown fresh fruits and vegetables. Beets, radishes, artichokes, cabbage, broccoli, spirulina, chlorella, and seaweed are excellent detoxifying foods.
- Drink at least two quarts of water a day and a lot of green tea.
- Breathe deeply to allow oxygen to circulate more completely through your system. A short meditation or Yoga practice every day could help you to practice the deep breathing exercise.
Transform stress by emphasizing positive emotions.
Traveling can be great fun, but it can also be a strain on your body and mind. Rushing for flights, changing time zones, sitting for extended periods, poor food, and new environments disrupt our daily routines and rhythms. Also, being on the go we find ourselves choosing convenient fast food options and throwing our regular balanced diet out the window. (...)
Self-massage is a great way to relax and invigorate you. Before bedtime you can easily press 3 acupressure points on your head, which, if stimulated with a finger massage, can help decrease the accumulated energy. (...)
Holy waters have been healing people, animals, plants and all living forces throughout cultures, traditions and spiritual paths. Civilizations from all over the world perform water ceremonies. I have had the chance to be part of some of them and to experience holy springs, rivers and waters in India, China, Jamaica, the Americas and in Switzerland. (...)