Zucchini Fritters with Tomato & Feta Relish
© Canyon Ranch
You have to try these delicious and healthy Zucchini fritters from the chefs at Canyon Ranch Tucson, a member of Healing Hotels of the World.
Ingredients (Servings 4)
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 med yellow onions, julienne
1 tsp minced garlic cloves
1 lb julienne fresh zucchini
2 tbsp dried parsley
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp dried oregano
1 lg egg
½ cup nonfat milk
½ cup buttermilk
¾ tsp sea salt
½ cup all-purpose flour
⅛ tsp freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp aluminum-free baking powder
Tomato and Feta Relish (1½ cups)
4 diced, medium tomatoes
3 tbsp champagne vinegar
3 tbsp water
2 tbsp chopped Kalamata olives
3 tbsp cane sugar
Dried basil (pinch)
Sea salt (pinch)
Freshly ground black pepper (pinch)
½ cup crumbled Feta cheese
4 tbsp chopped pine nuts
- In a large sauté pan, over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until onion is translucent. Next, add zucchini and cook until the zucchini just begins to soften. Then, remove from heat and place in a colander to drain and cool.
- Add parsley, oregano, salt and pepper to zucchini mixture and stir to mix evenly.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg until it is frothy. Next, stir in milk and buttermilk. Add flour, salt and baking powder and stir until just mixed. After that, add zucchini mixture and stir until well combined.
- Heat a large nonstick sauté pan and spray with canola oil spray. Using ¼ cup measure, scoop zucchini mixture onto the pan and then flatten with a spatula. Then, sauté fritters until golden brown and crispy on each side.
- In a small saucepot, over medium heat, bring tomatoes, vinegar, water, sugar, olives, basil, salt and pepper to a slow simmer. Then, cook until mixture thickens. Cool. Add cheese to relish and mix thoroughly.
- Serve 3 fritters with 2 tablespoons Tomato and Feta Relish on each fritter. Lastly, sprinkle chopped pine nuts over the top of the fritters.
Nutrition Information (per serving)
protein 15 g
sodium 782 mg
carbohydrates 55 g
fat 19 g
fiber 8 g
cholesterol 69 mg