Office Yoga – Five Exercises
© Alexandre Chambon
Do you have to deal with stress in the office too? In order not to further increase the daily restlessness in us, regular exercises to keep your balance is like a balm for the soul. Office Yoga can serve as a catalyst against stress. Tasks and obligations are easier handled and you feel like accomplishing them is meaningful. We have put together 5 Yoga exercises that you can easily put into practice, even in the office!
Counteracting stress with Yoga
Work stresses you and you are constantly wondering why you have to do this and that and when you can go home again? Office Yoga opens up a slightly different perspective on the matter. We are exactly where we should be. What we do has a definite meaning and that’s a good thing.
Work is an important part of spiritual practice.
Although sometimes the obstacles seem too hard to overcome, we should never forget that every job has its value and brings us forward in our spiritually. To support this idea, Yoga offers us joy and vigor for everyday life.
All the sitting weakens your back and spine. This leads to tension and makes us lethargic – Office Yoga strengthens your back and makes you more flexible. It wakes up the brain cells and stimulates the production of happiness hormones. The only thing you still need is the will to reduce stress, a few minutes of your time and a motivated smile.
5 Yoga Exercises that Work in the Office
Even if you do not get far from your desk while you work, these 5 yoga exercises will help you find more relaxation and energy for working.
Exercise 1: Stimulate Circulation
Before you begin, you should ideally prepare yourself with this little first Office Yoga exercise. It stimulates the circulation, refreshes you internally and gives you pleasure for starting:
- Drink a glass of water.
- Then rub your hands together vigorously.
- Start with the insides and then rub the backs of both hands.
- Do this for about 3 minutes.
- Now clap your hands, tap the side of your hands and then shake them.
Now you are prepared to start with the rest of exercises refreshed.
Exercise 2: The Office Panther
Do something good for your back, especially for your discs, with this yoga exercise.
- Place your hands on your thighs, with your elbows pointing outwards.
- Now bend forward – with your back straight.
- Push your shoulders back and your shoulder blades together.
- Lay your chest on your thighs and let your head hang loose.
- Inhale and slowly raise your head.
- Exhale and straighten yourself again – with a rounded back. Pull in the abdominal wall vigorously.
- Sit upright and take a deep breath.
- Exhale and lean forward again.
You can repeat this exercise several times. It has a very pleasant effect on a stiff back. Do it like the panther.
Exercise 3: The Side Bend
This exercise is quite easy to do and a blessing for the kidneys.
- Place your hands on your thighs.
- Inhale and stretch your right arm upwards with force and intention.
- Hold your breath and bend to the left.
- Breathe out and bring your arm back, you can place the hand on your thighs again.
- Now repeat the same with the left arm and bend to the right.
- Repeating this four times on each side is optimal.
This exercise intensifies the effect of the so-called “star picking”! It activates the liver, stomach, spleen, and pancreas. The tidal volume is increased. Get yourself a lot of positive energy and pass it on.
Exercise 4: Uttkatasana – Chair Pose
Now it is getting more intense – this exercise strengthens your muscles after sitting for a long period of time.
- Move to the edge of the chair.
- Place your feet hip-wide and push them firmly into the ground.
- Inhale and straighten your spine.
- When exhaling, pull the stomach gently inwards.
- Inhale and raise arms.
- Now try to get up very slowly while only exhaling.
- Try to hold the position three centimeters above your actual chair.
- Keep in mind: do not stretch your legs, your knees should be behind your toes – bend your knees so that you can see your big toes.
- Inhale and push up the sternum.
- Exhale and push the abdominal wall inwards so that your lower back stays straight.
- When breathing out, lower your arms and stretch again when inhaling.
- Slowly release the position while exhaling and sit down.
- Repeat for 5-6 breaths, take a short break and continue if you feel like it.
Good luck – you will feel how the new energy awakens your spirits!
Exercise 5: Moon Breathing – Alternate Nostril Breathing
If you are looking for relaxation and tranquility, you should try this Yoga exercise.
- Sit upright.
- Place the thumb of your right hand on the right nostril, the ring finger on the left nostril.
- Bend your index and middle fingers and stretch your little finger.
- Your left-hand rests on your left thigh.
- Breathe in and out through both nostrils.
- Now close the left nostril with the ring finger and exhale through the right nostril.
- Then close the right nostril with your thumb and inhale on the left.
- Imagine that you are inhaling the energy of the moon.
- Stay in this rhythm – exhale on the right, inhale on the left.
- The exercise lasts 3-5 minutes. Take a moment to feel the effect.
Moon breathing directs our attention inwards. The gained energy gives you peace of mind. Perfect for a stressful working day.
Stress does not necessarily have to dominate your everyday life. Take a few minutes in the office to recharge your batteries with daily Office Yoga. Even a few simple exercises do a lot of good to the body, mind, and soul.
Have fun trying it out!